- WordPress Multisite
- cPanel Access
In the last tutorial we learn’t how to enable and setup multisite feature for wordpress. This feature becomes handy when you need to run multiple blogs from single installation or use multiple sub-domains from a single installation. This feature is not used by many site which do not use more sub-domains. So its better to disable and delete WordPress multisite feature completely.
Before you proceed please backup your wordpress site. If you do not know how to take a backup then this article will help you to take automatic backup of your wordpress blog to drop box account.
Disable and Delete WordPress Multisite Feature Completely
1. Login to your hosting cPanel and open file manager. Goto your sites root directory for which multisite feature is to be disabled.
2. Open wp-config.php file and delete the lines which are marked between green lines (see the screenshot). These were the line which were helpful to enable and install multisite.
3. Now open your .htaccess file and remove these lines of code. See the .htaccess file carefully. There may be other lines of code supports multisite. Remove those lines of code.
4. Login to your wordpress dashboard now and you will see that multisite feature is disabled.
How to Completely disable the Multisite Feature in WordPress
You have just disabled the multisite but not completely deleted this feature. Next time when you try to install the multisite feature you will face problems since the database stores all the multisite files. So you need to delete them completely to get rid of this feature.
1. Login to Hosting cPanel and Open phpMyAdmin.
2. These tables must be deleted from the database.
- wp_sitecategories (if global terms were active)
The wp_ prefix depends on what you have given at the time of installation.
3. To manually delete these tables, simply check them and select drop. This will delete the checked tables.
4. If they are successfully deleted then you will see the success message.
5. If you want to delete them using sql command then go to SQL tab and enter this query.
This will deleted all the tables mentioned above.
Multisite feature in wordpress is now disabled and deleted completely. Let me know if you face any problem. I are here help you.