It is not easy to install Apache web server and it gets harder when you try to add MySQL, PHP and Perl. It is now easy to install them with just a single software, XAMPP. In this simple tutorial you will learn how to install and use XAMPP on windows.
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really easy to install and to use. Here is a quick guide on how to install XAMPP on your local machine. The same guide can be followed on any machine including windows, mac, ubuntu etc., but you should download xampp for the particular platform you use.
- 500 MB of hard disk (1GB recommended)
Steps: How to Install Xampp
First head on to apachefriends and download XAMPP. (Make sure you download XAMPP for your Operating System.)
Download link: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
I am going to show you how to install XAMPP on windows but same guide can be followed to install on any operating system.
Running the install
1. Once downloaded, double click the xampp icon to run the install or you can right click and choose “Run as administrator”.
2. Now you will be asked to choose the installation path. It is C:\ by default, but i have changed it to E:\. You can choose any drive where you need to install.
3. Once you choose the installation path click on install button. Installation will begin and you will see the following screenshot.
4. After the installation is completed, a dos prompt will appear. If you need to add shortcuts to start menu and desktops type “y” otherwise just type “n” and press enter.
5. Now you will be asked whether to proceed or not. Blindly type “y” and press enter.
6. Before moving on just make sure when you get these commands.
- Should I make a portable XAMPP without drive letters? n
- I have set the timezone in ‘php.ini’ and my.ini to “country name”.
Press enter if you get the above commands. After this step you will see the message “XAMPP is ready to use”. Just hit enter to continue.
7. In this step we will install Apache and phpMyadmin, so that it run when the system boots. Type “1″ and press enter to start the XAMPP control panel.
8. Now you will be presented with XAMPP control panel. By default only Apache will be turned on (running). To enable MySql, make sure you check MySql.
You will get a popup window informing “Click OK to install MySql service”. Choose OK to install MySql and wait for some seconds. After installing click “Exit” on the right side of the control panel.
9. To exit from the DOS window type “x” and hit enter.
10. You have learn’t how to install Xampp successfully on you local machine. Now let see how to use Xampp.
Usage: How to Use XAMPP
1. When ever you are going to create a new project that includes apache, php and mysql to work or installing any CMS, then upload the files to “htdocs” folder. The location will be C:\xampp\htdocs.
After you have successfully uploaded the project/project files, you can access them from the web browser by typing the url locahost/your-project/
2. Now type this url in your web browser to set the password for your phpmyadmin.
By default the username is root. Select the password you want to set for you phpmyadmin. In my case i am choosing root as my password.
3. To Create the database, you need to login to phpmyadmin. You can do that by typing the url below.
These are the basics steps on how to install and use XAMPP on your local machine. If you have any problems or any further queries then do comment and we will help you solve the issues.